Saturday, April 2, 2011

Millenium Soldier: Wearer of the Gold Book Review

Sci-fi? Ummmmm...not usually!


The past couple of weeks I've had the opportunity to read a sci-fi novel that a friend of mine wrote: Millennium Soldier: Wearer of the Gold by Voyle Glover.  I was excited to read something different (I'm not usually a sci-fi reader), yet skeptical, as I am with most books pre-read. 

I was pleasantly surprised.  Something I noticed right off the bat was that the book was beautifully descriptive.  I have a tendency to become bored by author's predictable, never-ending adjectives that seem to outnumber the nouns ten to one.  I end up skipping portions of books because I can get the right idea without having to suffer their inarticulate redundancy.  If you can't tell, it's a pet peeve of mine.  Anyway, I found that I didn't need to skip anything, and my attention never wavered in Millennium Soldier

What Makes It Good?


The author has an excellent capability to know "when to stop", so to speak.  The story line was also extremely intriguing.  Although sci-fi is supposed to be new, and contain uncommon ideas; things that are not truly possible, they can, like everything else, fall into a rut of sameness.  They can become predictable.  Not so with this one.  Glover formed a new, unheard of idea and spun it into an intricately designed narrative that will hold the attention of readers of all ages.

The story tells of a man named Cubal, a bred fighter, and tells of his battles (supposedly after his time of being a warrior) with Good and Evil.  Which side will he fight for?  Who will win him over?  What will Cubal decide?

I'm not going to spoil it for you. YOU need to get the book and find out for yourself.  Even if you're not typically a sci-fi reader (I'm not) this is something you will enjoy.  It's versatile, it's intriguing...it's just good.

Go get the book, read it, and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment