Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Flow Of Writing

What is writing? 


For me, it's not picking up a pen and pencil and putting black ink on a paper.  It's not about the letters of the words, or the penmanship with which they're written.  It's not about the sound of the words once they're read or as they're being spattered out on a keyboard.  For me, it's all about the feel of the words. 

Sometimes, starting to write something is exceedingly difficult for me.  Whether it's an Economics paper, or a poem, or just any old thing I jot down.  Even starting to write on this blog, where I can say anything I want, can be painful almost.  But I do it anyway.  Because once I start, I'll usually get the words flowing.  And it's almost like the concious part of my mind goes to sleep.  I start feeling the words with my mind, and once my mind gets on track, there's no stopping it.  The words just come to me.  It's like I'm not thinking about what I'm saying.  I am, but I don't feel the burden of that thinking.  It's my subconcious moving my fingers on the keyboard and giving everything on this screen life.

There are many times when I'm by myself, just thinking of how I feel, or what needs to be done about a certain situation.  And I can't figure it out.  I can't explain how I feel, even to myself! I can't put my thoughts or feelings into words.  But as I sit at the computer, and I start getting a rythym out, all of a sudden I'll be typing as fast as I'm thinking and letting my fingers do all the work; and FINALLY I'll look at the screen and realize that my brain has put my feelings into words for me.  Sometimes it's the only way I can figure anything out.

Most of the time my writing is done on the notepad accessory.  Just a blank screen.  I beat out the first few sentences or paragraphs and then let myself go.   And it's beautifully therapeutic.  There's nothing like it.  There's also nothing like "waking up" or, "snapping out of it"  and realizing that you have a good page of comprehendible, words; that I have one, completed thought sitting there on my screen.  And I'll read it, and think, "Oh!  I wish I had realized this before".

Now, one thing's for certain: Not everyone is a writer.  Some just aren't meant for it.  But  I gotta say, for those of you who say you don't like writing, or it's just too hard.  Give it a shot.  Everyone needs to give it a shot at least a couple times.  Even when it seems  impossible, and you have no idea where you're going with your first paragraphs, just keep kneading the dough, and eventually, your mind might catch on, and before you know it you could be writing some great things that you had no idea you were capable of. 

If you're a writer, you might not even know it.  However, if you are, the satisfaction of writing is worth the trouble a thousand times over.  I'm addicted to it. 

So...What are you waiting for?  Give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I do that too. when i'm on the computer, my fingers just fly. only problem is when I'm not at the computer, I'm a slow handwriter (or maybe my brain's too fast) so some of my ideas get lost simply because I can't write them down fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I know exactly what youre saying steph! That happens to me sometimes even when I'm typing. I type at like a million miles a minute and I'm just trying to get this huge cluster of thoughts down, and then I end up losing some of it anyway. :( Or, I'll still have the general idea but can't remember the exact way I wanted to say it. It's so sad.

    ReplyDelete