Friday, February 4, 2011

I'm Homeschooled and I love It

Homeschooling benefits?

Yep, that's right.  I'm a senior in Highschool and I'm homeschooled.  I really wouldn't have it any other way, though.   I have to deal with a lot of flak because of it, but I couldn't care less because I've had so many great opportunites.

There's so many benefits, I couldn't name them all.  And the great thing is that those benefits change depending on what kind of life, and students you have.

One of the biggest benefits is that the parents have control about what their children learn, and when they learn it.  For example, my parents can teach me what they believe about the creation of the world primarily, and then teach me about the opposing evolution views, and why they might be right or wrong.  Another example, I give better results in English and writing/speech homework than I do with math or science.  If I need to go at a slower or quicker pace than my 'grade level', it's no problem. 


Homeschooling advantages?

There are tons, and tons of advantages.   From all the people I've talked to about the subject, I've noticed that a lot of people would never want to be homeschooled because of the supposed 'lack of opportunity' 

"Oh my goodness! How do you live without prom and homecoming?  I would just die!!"

Or, "But you don't get to play sports!"

Or, "But you don't get to meet people!"

I don't get to meet people?  Seriously?  Actually, I do go to prom.  We host them for homeschoolers, too.  I play volleyball, and my brothes play basketball and take mixed martial arts.  Finding friends has never been a problem for me.

Homeschooling = flexibility

The beautiful thing about homeschooling is that you're flexible.  We can do so many things that Public and Private school students can't.  We can get a job and work during the day and do school at night.  We can do all sorts of projects and sign up for things that others can't because they would be in school.  There is absolutely no lack of extra curricular activities for us to do.  We can take vacations in February if we want.  We can do school in the car, at the park, on our trampoline, and wherever we want.  We can get other homeschoolers together and take field trips based on our personal interests.  It's definitely not the problem most people make it out to be.

It's really been a great experience for me to be homeschooled and I'm so thankful my parents made the decision and sacrifice to educate my brothers and I at home.  I believe it's made me into a better person.

1 comment: